Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Book Review: Little Women

Little Women (Little Women, #1)Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was a great read.  I was already familiar with the story from the movie, which I already loved.  However, the book had so much more that was left out of the movie (as is usually the case).  I felt like things in the book were just so much more "fleshed out".  When Laurie is in love with Jo, then she rejects him, I could really see it so much better and sympathize with both of them.  In the movie you didn't really see Laurie being in love with Jo, and when she rejects him I just hated her for it. I hated her for it in the book too, more so even (ok, I bawled my eyes out) but the process of Laurie turning from Jo to Amy was so beautiful and I was so happy and satisfied when they finally get together.  I was so happy to get to read their love story.

The only thing I didn't like was the end of the book.  It really could have ended like 4 chapters sooner.  It just kept dragging on and on "and then they were so happy because...and this was great...and that was great....  Anyway, it just felt unnecessary and should have ended when Jo accepted Mr. Baher.

There were also a LOT of moral lessons which I actually liked, but it kind of made me just feel like a bad, selfish person.  When Beth is dying and Jo decides that she is going to take all of Beth's goodness upon herself and try that much harder to carry on for her.  I just thought, I don't think I could feel that way so soon and so instantly.  I don't think I could learn and apply these lessons until years after the fact.



View all my reviews

1 comments:

Missy said...

I'm reading March right now by Geraldine Brooks, which is truly one of my least favorite reads ever. It is the story of Mr March while he is serving as chaplain during the war (you know, while he's missing in Little Women.). I really really don't like it though. Where Little Women has values, March is almost the exact opposite.
I will be reading Little Women soon though and hopefully be able to redeem my good options on the story.