Thursday, August 6, 2009

I think I have an anxiety problem

Whenever Jonah doesn't take a nap, or doesn't fall asleep withing an hour of when he should at night, I totally freak out, and I don't know why!

I know that being a parent means being the definition of patience and flexibility, but for some reason, I cannot relax about this one thing. Luckily Jonah does take a nap and fall asleep when he should about 90-95% of the time so it's usually not a problem. But when he doesn't take his nap, I get super ornery, sometimes cry and basically feel totally helpless, angry, sad, and mostly anxious. Almost like I'm going to have a panic attack. It isn't just being pregnant either. I've been this way since he was born. Nothing else bothers me this way.

I know it isn't a big deal. He is a great sleeper and he gets plenty of rest. So why do I let it affect me so deeply?

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I used to be the same with with Brody. If he cried longer than 15 minutes or if he refused to nap, my blood would boil and I would get so mad. I felt like there was nothing I could do to get him to sleep...who gave them agency anyways?

So it will pass. Now Brody still throws a fit every nap or bedtime (he's 4) which drives me to insanity, but it's not the same as it used to be. I don't feel the hopelessness because I know he will eventually sleep.

Hope it gets easier for you fast. And your second baby will be better.

Missy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Missy said...

Guess what? I'm totally the same way - especially when I'm pregnant. It's the one time of day you are supposed to have to yourself to nap or do anything you want, right?
I also have ingrained within me this voice that says they NEED their naps, it's best for then, yadda yadda.
Nap times and bedtimes are blissful breaks. It's hard giving that up.
As of late, Will will try to skip one nap and it has taken me a long time to just be okay with it and move on. I try to get out and do something with him if he's refusing to sleep and just try again later.
You're a good mom, Katie. We love you and hope things get better soon. :)

Laura said...

I feel the same way with Lily. I love her to pieces, but when she is sleeping is when I get me time. And I need that time even though it is small to focus on me.

Katie said...

Thanks everyone. The hardest thing for me is to know how long to keep trying. I just keep thinking, if I try for 5 more minutes or 10 more minutes, maybe...

Bridget said...

I am the same way. It drives me crazy. And I drive Jeremy crazy. No solutions here, sorry.

Katie said...

SO GLAD I'm not the only one. Katie, I miss you!