Friday, February 6, 2009

Feeling Uncool

Today I discovered that someone that I went to Jr. High with is getting pretty famous as a recording artist. Here is a link to his Facebook page that has all his other links, check him out:
Benton Paul

I am really impressed, he sounds amazing and is so talented!

Every time I hear of someone who becomes successful that is my same age, I think "wow, we have been on this earth the same amount of time and look at what they have done with their life!, and what have I done with mine?" Now, don't get me wrong, I know that raising a child is very important and amazing, but what else do I have to show for myself? Are my only contributions to this world going to be through my son? I find myself dreaming all these amazing things for Jonah, but why have I given up dreaming for myself? It's so hard trying to find a balance between our children and ourselves. Sometimes it feels like it has to be one or the other. I guess that's the age old conundrum of parenthood.

I haven't given up on my dreams completely, the problem is that I'm 25 and still don't really know what they are. It would be one thing if I really had something that I was totally passionate about, then at least I could have a goal, an endpoint, in mind. Then the only problem would be mapping out a way to get there, but here is my question to the universe: What if you don't have a goal?

I know that if I were reading this about someone else, I would be tempted to say something like "it isn't about the destination, it's about the journey" True, true, but what I don't like is feeling like I'm pointlessly drifting through life. And it's passing me by.

So, I have a question for those of you who know what you love, what you're passionate about. How did you discover your passion? Do you have any ideas of how to find it, besides "what do you like to do or how do you spend your time"? I'm not sure watching movies is going to get me to where I want to be:)

6 comments:

Bridget said...

Nice post. My input is that I'm basically waiting until my kids are all born and semi-grown up (in school, maybe) and THEN I'll take a look at what I can do in life. Not that I'm doing nothing now, but it's just not possible to have a whole lot of me time right now.

Good luck to you! Maybe you'll figure something out.

JimV said...

just wait until you are 35 and feel that way. or maybe 45.

jacksonhaleywarrenandhaus said...

This may sound way weird and ordinary but Im passionate about having a close family!! I love family and so grateful for my kids etc.. So really the thing im really most passionate about is my family and making family time important.

Anonymous said...

In my younger years, as you know, dance was my passion. I was good and others knew it too. I planned on becoming a professional dancer and had no idea I would meet the man of my dreams so early in my life. After putting him through school I thought I would work again on my passion, well the rest is history. I live through my girls dancing. Jess is in a performing company at her dance school she takes at and loving it. I want to go back and teach dance. I don't feel bad that my life has made this turn because I have a wonderful husband and 3 wonderful daughters. My life is fullfilling and full. I think I felt a little sad in my mid twenties that working full-time in an office setting made it so I could not pursue my passion but now I look back with no regrets.

Vicki

Laura said...

I am like you, Katie. I focus all of my attention on Lily. I agree with Bridget. Once Matt and I have all of the kids that we are going to have and they are all in school, then I will concentrate more on me. In the mean time Lily takes up all of my time

K. Madsen said...

I know Benton. I played a few small shows with him at BYU and around Provo. He has (musically and professionally) come a long way in the last few years. He has been working at it for much longer than I've known him.

Just thought I'd mention that.